Skip to main content

"I will never leave you...."

On Saturday, another show finished and again I am left feeling very blessed and thankful for the opportunities that I get.
The SA Premiere of "Side Show" the Musical with Hills Musical Company was another wonderful experience not only for those a part of it but loved but audiences as well. So many people told me how they were swept up in the story, they laughed, they cried and continued to think about it days after. And for that I am so grateful, because as an artist doing something that is new and a little different your...I'll say fear, is that no one else will understand what you are trying to share or achieve.



The real life story of Daisy and Violet Hilton is one that is not particularly happy at times, life was difficult and in most cases "not their own" but they did make something wonderful out of it to and use their talents to brighten the lives of others, choosing to stay joined together because of their love for one another.


Being a conjoined twin from birth is something that you are used to, being attached to someone when you are not a conjoined twin is very different. Add to that the fact that you are still your own character and have to sing together makes for an interesting challenge but one that I have very much enjoyed. My fellow "twin" and sister in this show was the very talented, Fiona Delaine and she was wonderful as Daisy. Fiona and I have been friends for 10 years and it was lovely to share this journey together. As the twins we sing around 80% of the show and the only times we leave the stage was to do one of our 13 costume changes so it is rather intense role. To be able to act and bounce off each other and to belt out some amazing songs together was really special. Thankyou Fi for giving so much, I will forever hold it in my heart.

We had a very talented cast and it really was a pleasure to be onstage and off stage with the wonderful bunch of freaks, thankyou to all of you for your performance and your support. Special mention to the men that played opposite us Twins; Paul Rodda as Terry, the Talent Scout who discovered the twins in the Side Show and helps to make them famous, and to the two who were in love with my character Violet, Jared Frost as Buddy and Omkar Nagesh as Jake, I thoroughly enjoyed working with you all and watching your performances each night. Congrats!

A show like this can not be put on without the amazing backstage crew and we did have an amazing crew. Thankyou to all for your awesome work, even in costume this show and for all of the time you put in. Special thankyou to Heather and Kate for dressing us twins, 13 changes and 3 wigs is alot and you made it so smooth and stress free. Also to Shari for props and dressing help! And a musical isn't a musical without music, thankyou wonderful Orchestra and Tim Freedman on sound. Also Thankyou to Mark Anolak for the amazing photos!!

And finally to our visionary Production Team, thankyou for bringing this to the stage and allowing me to be a part of it. You all put in so much time, effort and work and hopefully now you'll get a break haha! Amanda Rowe, directing something like this is always a gamble but I love that you do and that you bring your visions to life. Kerry-Lynne Hauber, you make us non dancers look good, even when we are attached! And Mark Delaine, wearing numerous hats in this one. As HMC president thanks for doing the show, as Musical Director again the music was in safe hands and for everything else you did (costumes is now on your resume) thankyou!  I love working with you all and will do it anytime!

If you are interested in some

of the reviews they can be found at links below


I am very grateful (as you may have gathered) but constantly I am hit with the awesome fact that these people give their time & talents to share stories and make the world a little brighter and because of that I am able to use mine.
The songs and story of this musical will stay with me forever, I hope you got to see it but if you didn't, well you missed something special.

"I will never leave you, I will never go away, we were meant to share each moment, beside you is where I will stay"


** Photos by Mark Anolak Photography

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's a bright golden haze on the meadow....

"There's a bright golden haze on the meadow....." Yes there is! Emma Knights Productions Oklahoma! on a Farm is BACK for its fourth season and opens this Thursday. If you have been reading my blog for a while, you will know that this is a special production and the role of Laurey is one I love to play! This year is the 75th Anniversary of the Production of Oklahoma! and so it is wonderful to be performing it again in the same year. Although in rather milder weather! The Farm, Four Oaks at Littlehampton is beautifully green and bursting with life. The animals are in full voice as in the wonderful cast. Immerse yourself in this unique family-friendly experience, a beloved classic with live horses, windmill, and a country fair of delicious treats & wares. If the last 3 seasons feedback is anything to go by, you will LOVE IT!! If you have seen it before, you will know what I am talking about and you should tell others. Or come along again and bring some new fr

All Shook Up!

I am blessed. A week ago I got back from an amazing singing trip. Cruising the seas, performing with amazing musicians and performers, 16 shows in 7 days, plenty of food and a ton of laughs - I am still smiling. The Cruise 'N Groove Elvis Meets the Legends Cruise was a fantastic week. I had never been on a cruise before so it was quite an experience, I loved the food and the weather was fantastic (only a bit of rockiness to contend with) and we visited Mare and Noumea in New Caledonia.  I am reasonably new to the Elvis world and so this was an eye opener for that as well but I actually loved it. Elvis fans are exceptionally passionate and in some ways quite a wonder.  I was on this trip as a backing vocalist with the Tributes in Concert Band or TIC Band and we backed all of the headlining Elvis Tribute Artists. So to the band first, what a privilege it was to perform with them. Each and everyone of them super talented (to the point, that I would get caught watching them at t

MMMBop and road trip classics 😉

Road trip singalongs are the best! Do you agree?  What are your favourite songs to sing? Do you have specific lists or eras or styles of music you listen/sing to?  For me it usually depends who I am travelling with but nothing beats a good 80s/90s song list.... So last weekend I was on a road trip to Halls Gap with my sister, my brother in law and my niece and nephew. We had a fabulous time singing away the hours to many a favourite. Of course the kids occasionally asked for a song they knew but we thought it was important we listened to the classics haha 😜 We headed to Halls Gap for NanaFest 2019! A weekend to celebrate the 90th Birthday of my Nana Dawn. Staying in cabins and tents the family came from Victoria and SA and shared a weekend of catching up, a party, jumping pillows and bonfires. I do love my family, there is a a lot of us and it is lovely to see the all the generations interacting and enjoying each others company. We had wonderful weather and my sister